Cashew Salad Sandwich – Recipe!
I am a big fan of Kris Carr! Her cookbook, Crazy Sexy Kitchen is my new go to for healthy vegan recipes. When I saw her recipe for Save the Tuna Salad I was inspired. The photo itself looked like a piece of art! To be honest I wasn’t quite sure what to expect before taking that first bite; but it turned out so good that I had to share my rendition. My dear daughter has a slight almond allergy so I had to swap the nuts as well as a few other ingredients in the original recipe to make it friendly for my family.
½ c raw sunflower seeds – soaked overnight
½ c cashews – soaked overnight
¼ c dill pickles – chopped
¼ c red onions – chopped
¼ c celery – chopped
1 Tbsp capers – chopped
1 Tbsp dill – chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
wasabi seaweed (optional)
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Red bell pepper slices
Romaine lettuce leaves
- Blend the soaked nuts and seeds in a food processor, the finer the better. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pickles, onions, celery, capers dill, lemon juice, seaweed (if using), salt and pepper
- Toast the bread and spread with the Dijon mustard and avocado slices (slightly smashed and seasoned with salt and pepper)
- Scoop a generous serving of nut mixture onto the bread.
- Finish with the red bell pepper, tomato, and romaine lettuce.